It all started about 10 years ago when my son and I agreed to purchase a fixer-upper car to work together on as a project. I let him pick the car. He eventually settled on a 2nd generation Camaro (1970 to 1973). This is the one we ended up with. It’s a 1973 Type LT, 350, turbo 400 automatic transmission. It was drivable when we bought it and my son used it to get to and from high-school until he ran out of gas money. This is the picture from the EBay ad where we found it.
Over the course of many years we started restoring various parts of the car. Here are a few pictures that represent some of the work:
Every piece of sheet metal on this car has been refinished, and we did it all ourselves with the exception of the sub-frame powder coat and the final external body and paint. We also built the engine, rear-end and suspension ourselves. Hard to tell where this car has been but there were signs of many years of use. We even found a bullet hole in the right front fender.
The car now has a 383 stroker small block engine, with a lot of goodies in it. It is nothing too radical but came out on the engine dyno right a 400hp and 436tq. (Since then, last weekend, we put a little more aggressive roller cam in it.) We also replaced the Turbo 400 with a Tremec TKO 5-speed, and put 3.73 gears in the back with a Detroit Locker Trutrac differential. After a few suspension trials we ended up with mostly Hotchkis springs, shocks and bars, with the exception of the Detroit Speed springs in back. My son also picked out the final paint colors and wheels. It is certainly lots of fun to drive, and we plan to show it this summer. Here are a few pictures of the finished product. (Although it is never finished. Brake upgrades are next. Don’t tell my wife).
I hope to now get back to some serious blogging, although no promises.